Original music! Stream or download and name your price, from free to infinity.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Critics


The critics in my head
are particularly vocal tonight:
an unruly sidewalk mob,
groundlings,gutter rabble, 
single-minded and strident, 
as my words try to push their way through,
catching elbows and feet every step.
What do they say? The usual:
None of this is going anywhere.
You were writing so much better
last year.
You're stupid, you put this on yourself
that you could do this--and for what?
What are you getting? No one really reads.
Oh, they might if you wrote something
worth a damn, not this drivel, no sir.
It won't always be like this, I tell myself.
Patience is the way out, the bully-beater
that will make them relent. Until then,
I will be their humble stenographer,
reporter and biographer, convince them that
their thoughts are pure genius,
totally new territory, profound
ideas expressed eloquently
and delivered with just the right
amount of force. Superb! Bravo!
Silver-tongued mastery!
I'll welcome them, catch them
off-guard with my flattery,
get them drunk on praise
and slip away from their
softened minds and do whatever
poetic thing strikes me:
observe the moon at five-minute
intervals; catalog the sounds
on the block, observe what happens
in six long breaths, find just the right
words for the shades of gray passing
overhead, read the dictionary aloud,
write imaginary dialogue for
people behind a cafe window,
order my espresso or pinot or stout
and sip slowly until the words come out.

2 comments:

Luc. said...

Nice one. I like the way it slips into rhyme in just a few places. Keep doing your poetic thing!

steverino said...

Thanks. I have no intention of stopping, but I got backed into a corner last night and wrote my way out.

It's haiku time again in creative writing class

Coffee is bitter fuel that brings a sweetness, lifting my spirits. Empty hanging file folders, holding only the hope of less clut...