Original music! Stream or download and name your price, from free to infinity.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Home

 
The house in which I now
find myself offers up cues
to childhood, to years past
coming back as if wired
directly into my senses:
the walls of heat in the attic
and the smell of cardboard
and dust, the earthy cool of
the basement, the burbling
lawnmowers and the cut
grass coloring my shoes
and tickling my nose with
its slight peppery sweetness.
The bills come, as they
surely did then, monthly,
and I can't look at a wall
or window for too long before
deciding it needs attention.
Still, friends are a walk or
a bike ride away, no plan needed.
Still, I open a heavy door and
a basketball bounces in the
street, and the ice cream truck's
song shifts down a step as it
passes, a bittersweet modulation
as things stay the same and
we move through them like
the high, harmless clouds
in the July sky.

No comments:

It's haiku time again in creative writing class

Coffee is bitter fuel that brings a sweetness, lifting my spirits. Empty hanging file folders, holding only the hope of less clut...