Original music! Stream or download and name your price, from free to infinity.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Remembering Roads

Following these sinuous roads,
I recall trips that ended in embraces.

My weight shifts in the corners and
my body feels it. No short strolls

or straight shots: serpentine,
windy ascents over

the pass and the state line;
long straights and steady,

even grades, truck lanes
and deep forests, roads winter-

slippery and summer shaded,
witnesses to my earnestness in

driving to, and satisfaction in
driving from, those houses where

someone brightened a doorway,
the distance an equation of

anticipation and reflection: something,
somewhere, the spending of the now

for some then—or, distance as insulation,
sure as I am safe in a car, immune from weather,

so too my heart traveled safely, my life
sectioned off, little borderlines to cross

to get to and from the center. No way of
knowing now, even though I know each

curve, dip and twist, the ones that
bring belly butterflies and a fluttery chest,

slowing and acceleration, routes now
that are still simply roads even as

memory diverges on its own path.

No comments:

It's haiku time again in creative writing class

Coffee is bitter fuel that brings a sweetness, lifting my spirits. Empty hanging file folders, holding only the hope of less clut...