Original music! Stream or download and name your price, from free to infinity.

Friday, August 16, 2013

Birth Mother

So I said it like this:
You let me down twice,
giving me away, then dying
before I could find you,
and now that door will never close,
letting in a periodic chill that
makes me shiver--
little whispers, voices all around
with their cold tongues, sibilant
sounds that every now and then
resolve into this:
You're not good enough.
It's your fault.
Better try really hard or
it will all happen again.
Anything and anyone you
hold dear--
Well,
it's all conditional.
You were chosen, sure,
that's special, but
nothing's guaranteed.
The letter from the
kind woman at the agency
arrived that November day,
leafless branches creaking in
the sunlight as my trembling hands
opened the envelope, revealing
names, places, and this:
You did all you could,
got the information you were
legally allowed,
withheld your signature until
(in your heart, I imagine) you knew.
I think of our parting, that scene
you remembered, lost to this infant's
goldfish mind, and I know now
(in my head, at least) that the
sum of my years of dull ache
you felt sharply, maybe all at once
when your trembling hand shaped
that signature, or when you touched me
for the last time.

No comments:

It's haiku time again in creative writing class

Coffee is bitter fuel that brings a sweetness, lifting my spirits. Empty hanging file folders, holding only the hope of less clut...