Original music! Stream or download and name your price, from free to infinity.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Working Man

Washing off plaster dust
from my hands and forearms
in the bathroom of the
Indian restaurant,
I look up to see my reflection:
two days’ growth,
cap and T-shirt covered
with a palette of primer,
caulk and paint.
How different than last month,
in the guise of a teacher—
crisp in ironed clothes,
doing the ritual, handing out
the final exam.
Ha, this working man thinks.
Nothing’s final. Not an exam,
not work around the house,
certainly. A respite from stacks
of papers, students corralled into
attendance books and columns
of grades. Measurable progress,
now, as I wash the morning’s work
from my hands, and think of
smooth walls, new paint,
mitered molding,
pipes I can trust behind
crisp sheets of drywall.

No comments:

It's haiku time again in creative writing class

Coffee is bitter fuel that brings a sweetness, lifting my spirits. Empty hanging file folders, holding only the hope of less clut...