Original music! Stream or download and name your price, from free to infinity.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Light Romance

Right now, I miss her. The last time I saw her was Sunday. How appropriate. Only a couple of hours, though—if that. She called to me through the dirty windows, coaxed me outside like I was a cautious cat, then hid herself behind gray walls. What a flirt.

OK, so this time of year is a lean time for this sort of radiant romance. But even so… We are all sunlight and stardust, all solar powered if you trace it back far enough. It’s an elemental pull, something deep within us. How could I resist?

I’m gaining two minutes a day with her, supposedly. She still hides herself, comes out obliquely and diffused, shades of gray, indirect, casting no shadows. Meanwhile, rain seeps into my sun-colored room. Keeps me awake, makes me rearrange things when I should be sleeping.

I miss her energy, heat and passion. The kind that I’m sure I thought was overbearing six months ago when she locked me in. Or did I shut her out? But I missed her then, too, in my dark and breezy prison. I’d sneak out as she began to leave, follow her as my shadow lengthened, chasing her through the Rensselaer County hills, always wanting a few minutes more. Just a few.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

"gaining two minutes a day with her, supposedly"

So good.

She's looking through your window now, trying to see if you've written anything else about her, while you're out riding.

steverino said...

I'm always writing while riding. Sometimes I just forget to write it DOWN later. Haiku seem to fare the best.

It's haiku time again in creative writing class

Coffee is bitter fuel that brings a sweetness, lifting my spirits. Empty hanging file folders, holding only the hope of less clut...