Original music! Stream or download and name your price, from free to infinity.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Poem

I began a new section of my creative writing course a couple of weeks ago. We were writing about talismans, and this came out. I haven't edited it much. Comments, please.


DIGGING

Digging through the box
faded paper envelopes
bright colors faded
mixing in with
the negatives

Digging

digging down through layers
of dust and years
seasons on leaves
pages turning in
a book

Digging down
easy
like yeilding soil
pictures
stick together
hanging on walls in my mind

my cousins and I smile
the shutter opens
letting in light
the camera's metal aperture
a black hole
and here I am
on the other side

digging
digging through a box
the shoes worn and gone

there's Dad, still some black
in his wavy hair
large glasses
robe and pajamas
on Christmas morning
there's me
eyes flash red
engineer cap tilted
on my head
a train circles the track

digging,
digging and putting back
layers of light and years
in the box
in the closet
as new light
wanders in

1 comment:

Karma said...

I really like the repetition with "digging" -- and the image of the conductor's cap as well as the camera. Very nice!

It's haiku time again in creative writing class

Coffee is bitter fuel that brings a sweetness, lifting my spirits. Empty hanging file folders, holding only the hope of less clut...